The Skotfoss trail is located at Skotfoss in Skien, approx. 6 km from Skien down town. It was established in 1998 by Skotfoss History Law and Skien municipality, the cultural department and others.
The trail starts at Løveid locks which are part of the Telemark Canal. It runs in scenic surroundings in forest areas and along the watercourse and it has a total of 15 illustrated information signs. The cultural trail has good accessibility and it is not intended for cycling and riding. Such activities are too harsh for the area. There are marked fishing spots along the watercourse and the fishing right belongs to Grenland Sporstsfiskere.
Løveid locks, the district of Skotfoss and Skotfoss Bruk
Løveid locks were completed in 1861. The district of Skotfoss was mainly built around 1900 around the paper factory Skotfoss Bruk. The factory started production at year-end 1892-93. Road to Skotfoss opened in 1899. Although the road was built, the waterway for many decades still was the most important way from and to Skotfoss. In the period around 1900 Skotfoss had just over 50 stores and small businesses; among ten grocery stores, two dairies, watchmakers and their own police. Skotfoss Mill was closed down in 1986. Today, there is still some activity in the old warehouses in the form of construction companies.
The information brochure about the Skotfoss trail is to be found at Skien Tourist Office.
Skotfoss church is from the year 1900.
Gamle Union Brug Antikk has 1700 square meters of old treasures and antiquities from…
Mikaelshulen, or St. Michaelchurch, is a mountain cave in the steep mountain wall on the…
The iron age-house at Aarhus in Skien was opened in September 2005.
Rock carvings offer a unique glimpse of a long-lost culture.
Christian burial grounds, cooking pits and "witches graves".
Henrik Ibsen was born in Skien on 20 March 1828. His childhood home is just a few…
1500 million of years of geological history.
M / S Victoria is known as the channel Queen and is regarded as Telemark's flagship. M /…
Telemark Kunstsenter (Telemark Art Senter) is a center of competence for professional…
Ibsenhuset is named after Skien's famous son, Henrik Ibsen.
New, modern fish ladder in down town of Skien.
The Ibsen Steps were restored in April 1995.
Gjerpen Church lies on the northern edge of Skien and is a beautiful romanesque stone…
Snipetorp is Skien's oldest residential after the city fires in 1854 and 1886.
The manor house at Søndre Brekke is truly magnificent.