The factory started production at the turn of the year 1892-93. The road to Skotfoss opened in 1899. Although the road was built, the waterway for many decades remained the main traffic route to and from Skotfoss.
In the period around 1900 Skotfoss had just over 50 stores and small businesses, including 10 grocery stores, two dairies, watchmakers and their own police. Skotfoss Bruk was closed down in 1986. Today, there is still some activity in the old warehouses in terms of construction companies.
Skotfoss culture trail
Skotfoss culture trail, 3,5 km, provides the opportunity to learn about our close past. The trail starts at Løveid locks which are part of the Telemark Canal, and runs into scenic surroundings in forest areas and along the waterway. A total of 15 illustrated information signs show the history of the area.
In 1861, Løveid locks were completed. The Telemark Canal was carved into the rock. When the canal was completed in 1892, it was called the "eighth wonder". The plant has three chambers with a total lift height of 10.3 meters.
Tel: +47 35 90 55 20
Gamle Union Brug Antikk has 1700 square meters of old treasures and antiquities from…
The Løveid Canal at Skotfosss connects Norsjø by the "Fare Elva".
Skotfoss church is from the year 1900.
Mikaelshulen, or St. Michaelchurch, is a mountain cave in the steep mountain wall on the…
The iron age-house at Aarhus in Skien was opened in September 2005.
Christian burial grounds, cooking pits and "witches graves".
Rock carvings offer a unique glimpse of a long-lost culture.
The sculpture Rat Virgin is located near by Skien centre, at Bakkestranda.
Lie cemetery with Lietorvet shopping center in Skien, was given in 1841 as a gift from…
Their gallery is in the Cultural Centre called Ibsenhuset, which opened in 1973.
Painting: A simple design with message of safeguarding peace and our nature, and with an…
The Norges Bank building was built close to Skien church.
Telemark Kunstsenter (Telemark Art Senter) is a center of competence for professional…
Ibsenhuset was officially opened on 9 September 1973 and at the time was Norway’s most…
Ibsenhuset is named after Skien's famous son, Henrik Ibsen.
1500 million of years of geological history.